I did not grow up with kohlrabi but it is a regular veggie in my kitchen each summer now. I roast it, slice it, braise it and add it to salads. The French gave us "Celeriac Remoulade" which David Leibowitz provides his (always witty) take on this classic recipe here. Swapping out slivered celeriac (or celery root) for kohlrabi is an easy decision. My Remoulade Sauce recipe can be found here.
- Kohlrabi - 2 pounds, peeled & sliced into matchsticks
- Apple or Pear (optional) - 1, peeled, and sliced into matchsticks
- Salt - 1-2 shakes
- White pepper - To taste
- Remoulade sauce - 3/4 - 1 cup
- Peel and slice kohlrabi into 2 inch slivers (match sticks). Try to slice them all the same length and width. (Feel free to use food processor with shredding plate.)
- Sprinkle sliced kohlrabi with salt and white pepper.
- Toss with remoulade sauce.
- Garnish with minced parsley.