Pumpkin Apple Soup
Pureed soups need a garnish; croutons, toasted coconut, nuts, seeds or minced herbs but I am a little partial to things crunchy. This is "SOUP"er easy to make. I roasted two small pumpkins the other day and it was lunch today!
- Shallot - 1, peeled and finely minced
- Pumpkin - 2 cups, canned or roasted
- Apple - 1 large, sweet, peeled and diced
- Stock - 2 cups, Chicken or Vegetable
- Smoked paprika - 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon - 1/4 teaspoon
- White pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Maple syrup - 4 teaspoons
- Pine nuts - 1/2 cup, toasted
- Sauté minced shallot until translucent in 4-5 quart sauce pan.
- Add pumpkin, diced apple, stock, and spices (smoked paprika, cinnamon, pepper and salt) to the sauce pan and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Pour soup into Vita-Mix and give it a couple of WHIRRrrrrS! (My term!) Adjust seasoning. Feel free to add more smoked paprika or cinnamon.
- Divide between 4-6 soup bowls, swirl a little maple syrup into each bowl and sprinkle with pine nuts.