Kale Apple Salad
Kale loves to grow in the cool weather of spring and fall. As I remove flowers from my pots in the fall I replace them with plants that thrive in the cool season; sage, cilantro, kale, parsley,.. I like to pull this salad together about an hour before serving and just top with walnuts and cranberries at the last minute.
- Shallot - 1 small, minced
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- Honey - 2 tablespoons
- Oil - 4-5 tablespoons, extra virgen olive oil or walnut oil
- Apples - 2 (one red, one green)
- Kale - 1 bunch, cleaned, dried, stems removed & roughly chopped
- Walnuts - 3/4 cup, toasted
- Parmesan cheese - 3/4 cup, shaved
- Dried cranberries (optional) - 1/2 cup
- Salt - To taste
- Black pepper - To taste, freshly ground
- Finely mince shallot and add to bowl with vinegar, honey and oil. Set aside.
- Clean, dry and trim kale. Remove stems and roughly chop the leaves. Place kale leaves in large bowl and set aside.
- Core and slice apples into large dice and add to kale.
- Toast whole walnuts in small pan over medium heat for 9-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Roughly chop walnuts and set aside.
- Top kale and apple with shaved Parmesan and toss with dressing.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Taste and adjust.
- Dump on to serving platter and sprinkle with toasted walnuts and dried cranberries (if using).