I like to allow the roasted beets to soak up the vinegar for a day or two before serving the salad and I almost always use a good balsamic vinegar. A friend of mine told me she reduced the balsamic vinegar first before adding it to the beets and I think I like that better. Feta cheese will also work on this salad but I LOVE goat cheese with beets. Bon Apeptit!
- Beets - 1 1/2-2 pounds
- Balsamic vinegar - 3/4 cup
- Olive or walnut oil - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper - 2-3 grinds
- Fresh dill - 2 sprigs, roughly chopped or torn
- Goat cheese - 2 ounces
- Slivered almonds - 1/4 cup, toasted
- Roast unpeeled beets for 45 -60 minutes in covered or foiled pan at 400 degrees F. with 1/3 cup water added to pan and poke each beet a few times with a knife before covering.
- Allow beets to cool and then peel and cut into medium sized dice.
- Add balsamic vinegar to a small pan and place over burner and reduce by one-half. Pour reduction over beets and allow to chill and soak into the beets for a day (or two.)
- Prepare salad by adding olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Place beets on serving platter and top with fresh dill, goat cheese and almonds.