I adore a good bean salad and this is a recipe that gets better with age. I use fresh beans (versus canned beans) and just give them a quick "blanch" and they remain crisp. I make this salad at least fours hours before serving so flavors blend.
- Champagne vinegar - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1/4 cup, Canola or Olive oil, or a combination
- Sugar - 1/3 -1/2 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove, finely minced
- Salt - 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Sriracha - 1/4 teaspoon
- Green beans - 10 ounces, cleaned, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inches pieces
- Yellow wax beans - 10 ounces, cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Salt - 1 tablespoon
- Red kidney beans - 15 ounce can
- Sweet green pepper - 1, medium dice
- Celery - 2-3 stalks, small dice
- Red onion - 1 small or 1/2 large, small dice
- Cilantro leaves - 1/2 cup, finely minced
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine vinegar, oil, sugar, minced garlic, salt, pepper and Sriracha and set aside.
- Fill large sauce pan half-way and add salt. Bring water to a boil and then add the fresh green beans and yellow wax beans. Leave in the water for no longer than two minutes. Then drain and run water over the beans and cover with ice to stop the cooking (and set the color).
- In a large bowl, add the chilled beans, red kidney beans, green pepper, celery, red onion and cilantro.
- Add dressing to bean mixture and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. If you are using canned beans the salt content can very significantly so be careful.