I and my husband recently celebrated our anniversary and this is one of the side dishes served at our dinner. So simple and absolutely addictive. It is easy to make the carrots ahead (through the partially cook stage) and just finish on the grill. Your family and guests will love this dish.
- Carrots - 2 pounds, washed, peeled & trimmed
- Water - 2 cups, and maybe more
- Olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - A couple of shakes
- Ranch dressing - 1/2-3/4 cup, of your favorite brand
- Pecans - 1/2 cup, finely or rough chopped, toasted
- Dill - 2-3 stems, fresh, torn into pieces
- Fresh ground pepper - 2-3 grinds
- Clean, peel and trim carrots and add to straight sided sauté pan with 2 cups of water. Simmer until carrots are partially cooked, about 15-20 minutes but total cook time will depend on thickness of the carrots. You may also need to add more water to the pan.
- Drain carrots and finish them either in-doors on a grill pan or outside on the grill. Brush carrots with olive oil and salt, grill for about 10 minutes using med-high heat, turning occasionally. By the time grill marks form on your carrots they will be done. (Error on the side of under-cooking, mushy carrots are not a good thing!)
- Toast pecans while carrots are grilling, then chop.
- Smear ranch dressing directly on serving platter, place carrots on top of the dressing and sprinkle with chopped pecans and torn dill.
- Finish dish with a couple of grinds of black pepper.