Watermelon Cherry Salad
This recipe is adapted from a recipe in my culinary school book, On Cooking by Labensky an Hause. This is a wonderful recipe to take to a picnic, easy, colorful and refreshing.
- Mint - 6-8 leaves, fresh, torn in small pieces
- Water - 2 ounces or 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 2 ounces, granulated
- Watermelon - 1 1/2 pounds, 1 1/2 inch dice, or same size as cherry
- Sweet cherries - 1 pound, pitted, whole
- Fresh mint sprigs - For garnish
- Fresh lime juice - A squeeze or two over the top
- Combine water and mint in small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove mint and finely chop the mint. Add the chopped mint to the minted sugar syrup and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Dice watermelon into 1 1/2 inch squares and remove pits from cherries, add both to large mixing bowl.
- After syrup has cooled, lightly toss watermelon and cherries with syrup. Pour onto serving platter.
- Garnish with fresh, torn mint and a squeeze or two of fresh lime juice.