Strawberry Rhubarb Soda
Refreshing! My family was mesmerized by this little cup of spring! You may want to double the batch as it will not last long.
- Water - 2 cups
- Rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1 in pieces - 1 pound
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 teaspoon
- Sliced strawberries - 2 cups
- Lemons - 2
- Sparkling water - 1 quart
- Extra strawberries, lemon slices and mint leaves - Garnish (optional)
- In a saucepan combine water, rhubarb, and sugar. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add strawberries to rhubarb and simmer for for five more minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain off solids.
- Press on the solids to remove juice.
- Add lemon juice and sparkling water to strained juice, taste and adjust sugar.
- Serve over ice and garnish with strawberries, lemon slices and mint.
Note: Add sparkling water just before serving, slowly, as it will foam up a bit.