Cardamom Apple Sauce
OK, before I go any further I must first state: "My mother-in-law makes the best apple sauce." The reason I make apple sauce... beside the fact that I like it, is that I am often left with picked over apples in the refrigerator because SOMEONE won't eat an apple with a bruise. So, mix of apples going into my sauce varies every time. It works for us.
- Apples - 4 pounds of whole apples peeled & (medium) diced
- Lemon juice - Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cardamom - 1/4 teaspoon
- Honey - To taste, optional
- Peel, core and (medium) dice apples. (Dice size: 1/2 -3/4 inch.)
- Add apples, lemon juice, water and spices to 4-5 quart sauce pan.
- Simmer for 30 minutes on low setting. Cover pan and stir on occasion.
- Puree with stick blender or in food processor.
- Taste for sweetness, you may want to add a touch of honey. We like applesauce tart so I almost never add a sweetener.
- Serve warm or chilled.