Blueberry Beet Smoothie
A dear friend gave me a recipe for a beet smoothie which I finally tried this week. Her recipe was for 1 raw beet, 1 cup almond milk with vanilla (unsweetened), two REALLY ripe bananas, 1 tablespoon of flax seeds, 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash. We tried two recipes side by side and it was a hard decision but my family has a sweet tooth and blueberries are loved here. Both recipes are super healthy and both are tasty.
The recipe below was adapted from Claudia Roden's Picnics and Other Outdoor Feasts.
- Kefir - 1 1/2 cups
- Banana - 1, ripe
- Beet - 1, small, raw, peeled and quartered or grated
- Blueberries - 1 cup, frozen
- Honey (optional) - 1 teaspoon
- Add all ingredients to Vitamix or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add a 1/4 -1/2 cup water if the smoothie is too thick.
The berries and ripe banana should provide right level of sweetness but feel free to add honey.