- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
This sauce is so simple and for me it has many memories. My mom and my grandmother made it often. Just a little of this sauce drizzled over the top of a an unfrosted cake like apple, oatmeal or gingerbread, always makes the cake a little more special.
- Sugar - 1/2 cup, granulated
- Cornstarch - 1 tablespoon
- Water - 1 cup, cold or room temperature
- Salt - 1/8 teaspoon
- Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Nutmeg - 1/2 teaspoon, freshly grated
- Apple cider vinegar - 1/8 teaspoon
- Combine sugar, corn starch and water in pan. Whisk until combined.
- Heat over medium high heat while continuing to stir.
- When the mixture has thickened (5-10 minutes), add salt, butter, nutmeg and vinegar. Whisk to combine.
- Serve warm.
Tip: Cornstarch should always be combined with room temperature or cold water first before heating to reduce clumping.