Key Lime Pie
If you cannot find key limes, use Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. This is a very simple recipe but it is iconic and a crowd pleaser.
Remove from refrigerator about an hour before serving, it will be easier to slice.
- Graham cracker crust
- Graham crackers - 5 ounces, crushed
- Butter - 6 tablespoons or 3/4 cup, melted
- Egg yolks - 5 large
- Sweetened condensed milk - 14 ounces
- Key lime juice - 1/2 cup
- Lime zest (optional) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine crushed graham crackers and melted butter and press into 9 inch pie pan. I use a round bottom cup or glass to press into sides of pie pan and up the sides. Crust should be 3/4 of the way up the side so that graham crust will not fall over into your pie when you slice it.
- Chill crust until ready to fill.
- In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks, condensed milk, lime juice, and lime zest (if using) in medium mixing bowl.
- Pour into chilled crust, bake for 15 minutes. (You know it is set when you no longer see a wiggle in the custard.)
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes and then refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Serve topped with sweetened whipped cream.