This flour-less chocolate almond cake is decadent. Very rich and a great “make-a-head” cake. This cake from the island of Capri, not far from Naples, is a classic.
- High quality dark chocolate - 9 ounces, chopped into small pieces, I used 63% cocoa
- Butter - 1 cup, room temperature
- Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup
- Almond extract - 1 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 1/4 cup, granulated
- Ground blanched almonds - 1 1/4 cup, or almond meal
- Eggs - 5, large, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 310 degrees F.
- Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper. (I, also, buttered the parchment and sides of pan.)
- Melt chocolate with the butter.
- Whisk together melted chocolate, cocoa powder, almond extract, sugar and ground almonds.
- Whisk the eggs one at a time into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared springform pan and bake for 50 minutes at 310 degrees F.
Tip: If you grind your own almonds, grind them fine for this recipe or you may risk having the cake be crumbly and hard to slice.
- Allow cake to cool at room temperature.
- Remove from refrigerator one hour before serving.
- Dust with powder sugar and serve with whipped cream or maybe gelato.