Rhubarb Custard Pie
This is the pie I grew up eating every spring. We called it a rhubarb cream pie but it is essentially a custard. I LOVE this pie.
- Pastry for 9 inch single crust, unbaked
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- All -purpose flour - 1/4 cup
- Nutmeg - 3/4 teaspoon, freshly grated
- Eggs - 3 large
- Rhubarb - 4 cups, 1 inch pieces
- Butter - 2 tablespoons
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare an unbaked 9 inch pie shell.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, nutmeg and eggs. Whisk until combined.
- Clean, trim and slice rhubarb.
- Pour egg mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Pour cut-up rhubarb over the top of the custard mixture and dot with butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees F and bake for 40 more minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
- Refrigerate any left-over pie.