Fresh Apple Cake
An updated vintage apple cake... I replaced the crisco with butter and added cinnamon and cardamom. Then I topped it with a boiled brown sugar frosting. Although this cake does not require frosting. You can just sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and serve it for breakfast as a coffee cake.
- Butter - 10 tablespoons, room temperature
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- Egg - 1, room temperature
- Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
- Milk - 3/4 cup, 2% or whole
- All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
- Whole grain flour - 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cardamom - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Apples - 2 cups, peeled, medium dice, Granny Smith
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare one 9 x 13 inch cake pan with butter and flour, remove excess flour.
- Place softened butter and sugar into mixer bowl and with the paddle attachment, blend until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture and mix until combined. Remove bowl from mixer and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cardamom and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Added diced apple to flour mixture and stir into flour mixture.
- Alternating between flour mixture and milk, add to butter/sugar/egg mixture and stir with spatula just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees F.