- Yield: Enough for 9 X 13
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Boiled Brown Sugar Frosting
My family LOVES this frosting, in fact, there is typically a big problem with frosting disappearing from the cake! This frosting recipe works well on spicy apple, vanilla or even try it on a carrot cake for a "change-up" from cream cheese frosting. And, it has just four ingredients.
The vintage recipe version was called Penuche.
- Butter - 3/4 cup or 6 ounces
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 cups, packed
- Heavy cream - 3/4 cup
- Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
- Add ice water and about 4 cups of ice to sink.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and cream in large sauce pan.
- Over medium-high heat, melt butter and bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and place pot in ice water.
- When the mixture has cooled, remove from ice water and beat with a hand mixer until spreadable. It may take 15-20 minutes before mixture is ready to whip with hand mixer.